⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] The CF Standard Names

From: Jing Zhou Contractor <Jing.Zhou.Contractor>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 14:33:06 -0500

Hi,

I am new to the list and working on a project to provide
historical and real-time NetCDF datasets for all moored buoys
through the NDBC dods server. When we are finalizing
the variable names, I see the following statements from
the CF Conventions:

"A standard name is associated with a variable via the attribute
standard_name which takes a string value comprised of a standard name
optionally followed by one or more blanks and a standard name modifier."

Internally we have discussions to use the standard names as
the variable names, are there any issues if we go that way?
(like too long for display?)

Our pre-production datasets can be accessed at
http://webtest.ndbc.noaa.gov

We also have measurements from tide gauges with
its description at
http://co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/mapfinder/mllw.html

Are there any ideas for its standard name?

Thanks,

Jing