⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] regions

From: Bryan Lawrence <b.n.lawrence>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 08:45:51 +0100

Hi Jonathan

I agree that GCMD aren't precise. I would argue the way forward is to try to
get them to sub-class their list appropriately so we can use our appropriate
sub-class. If they don't, I think we should, and put some mechanism in place
to semi-automate the maintenance so when their list changes, we know, and
make some concious decisions, and where possible we change our list by
changing theirs first ...

(We also should put the list of constraints you list below in the CF
document).

The thing I worry *a lot* about is the proliferation of standard naming
schema; there is a strong risk of communities becoming self-isolating ...

It should be relatively trivial to put something in place to watch the GGMD
list automatically; what would be nicer is to have a "machine-understandable"
set of rules about what to do with the constraints you have below, and that's
what I would want to get GCMD (or us) to address via a set of attributes for
the standard names ... I'll get back to the list on this.

(Why dont you want country as a geographical region ... for example: it's a
perfectly valid thing to want to integrate the pollution arriving into and
leaving a country?)

Cheers,
Bryan