⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] regions

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 08:26:27 +0100

Dear Bryan

The GCMD list hasn't grown, I don't think; we made a subset of it. We omitted

* countries i.e. we included only geographical regions.

* regions that could be specified by coordinate ranges, because that's what
you'd do in CF. If we included "Western Hemisphere", for instance, it might
conflict with a longitude range.

* ill-defined regions, such as "Mid-latitude" (which if precise could anyway
be specified by a coordinate range).

* names that correspond to elements of standard_names, such as "Surface" and
"Land surface".

* names which aren't geographical regions, such as "Mantle".

Hence I don't think consistency can be maintained entirely automatically. The
GCMD list apparently serves a rather less precise function than the CF list. I
wish it could be done automatically, because I agree that we want to keep in
step, and in this case I agree we should ask GCMD to add "Indo-Pacific Ocean"
to their list.

Could we semi-automate it, by being made aware of when GCMD update their list
and have some software suggest possible additions to the CF list?