⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] omega

From: Brian Eaton <eaton>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:10:04 -0700

Hi Jonathan and Bryan,

I agree with Jonathan that "lagrangian_tendency_of_air_pressure" seems like
a good description for the total, substantive, or material (take your pick)
derivative Dp/Dt.

Bryan wrote:
> are partly Lagrangian, but when we calculate them in a model using
> differencing schemes that require us to evaluate the derivatives by using
> Eulerian coordinates, they're Eulerian quantities.

I don't understand this statement. There are relationships that allow one
to compute material derivatives (following a material parcel) from the
partial derivatives obtained from a fixed (Eulerian) coordinate system.
Are you suggesting that a material derivative is an Eulerian quantity? I
think of it as a Lagrangian quantity.

I'm actually comfortable with either Jonathan's suggestion or with Bryan's
preference of "vertical_velocity_in_pressure_coordinates" as that is a
commonly used description of omega. But I don't understand the argument
against using the term Lagrangian. My preference (currently) is
lagrangian_tendency_of_air_pressure.

Brian