⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] omega

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:38:09 +0000

Dear Bryan

I don't really understand, I'm afraid. Perhaps I'm using wrong terminology.
What more accurate term for D/Dt could we use instead of Lagrangian tendency?
If we can choose a term for it, then it seems a clear and simple distinction to
me that can be made between omega=Dp/Dt on the one hand and partial dp/dt on
the other, which we have already called tendency_of_air_pressure.

> (see also Dtheta/Dt expressed as and called an "isentropic 'vertical
> velocity'" where the inner quotes are David's, in AHL, Middle Atmosphere
> Dynamics, p138).

I think the inner quotes imply that he's calling it a vertical velocity as a
kind of useful analogy, not because Dtheta/Dt is really a velocity in the
popularly understood sense of the term. It is instead "standing in" for a
vertical velocity.

> I really think we are trying to put too much information in one box (the
> standard name). I think standard bloat is a real issue to be careful of.
> Don't we have a description field for the extended explanation?

All we are trying to do is choose a name for omega! If we can't agree on a
reasonably short and unambiguous phrase for it, then I do think we should just
call it omega instead and explain what it is in the extended description.