⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] omega

From: Bryan Lawrence <b.n.lawrence>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 07:26:19 +0000

Hi Folks

Ok, trying to be really clear ...

If we have s=(x,y,z), where s is displacement in cartesian coordinates, then
we all understand u =(Dx/Dt,Dy/Dt,Dz/Dt)=the velocity vector.

There is no fundamental difference should we change coordinates, so that
 s = (x,y,p), and u=(Dx/Dt,Dy/Dt,Dp/Dt) is still the velocity vector
(unarguably I would argue :-)

Traditionally we call the third component the vertical component, and we say
things like the vertical velocity, where what we mean is the vertical
component of the velocity vector. This convention exists independent of
meteorology.

Introducing the word Lagrangian carries no new information, and implies,
wrongly, that there is something special about Dp/Dt in comparison to
any other velocity component in any coordinate system.

I'm sorry to be so picky about this, but as I said in private email to
Jonathan, I think it's important to be systematic and consistent where
possible with other disciplines (ie physics and mathematics, neither of whom
would see the need for the word Lagrangian here).

Sign convention? Well, I take the point there is the possibility of lazy
people getting it wrong, but if we take this argument to it's illogical
confusion, then we should never have names of books, simply books, because
lazy people never bother reading the book ... they only read the names.

Sign: Flux is a different animal, because we have to confront different
conventions, but velocity is velocity, and has a direction and sign by
definition.

Confusion between w(x,y,p) and omega(x,y,p) is not possible if anyone reads
the description, and uses the appropriate units (or looks at the alias
omega).

OK, I'm going to butt out now :-). Do what you will. You will note that I
don't make a recommendation. I think you all know what I think, and I'm free
to put my own name in the files as well as any other name anyway :-)

Bryan