⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Radar parameters - another try

From: Stephens, A <A.Stephens>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:04:56 -0000

Dear All,

Last year I brought up the issue of standard names specific to radar
instruments. The response was that they weren't appropriate. However, I want
to resurrect this and see if we can push some of them onto the list.

I want to start with:

radial_velocity (m s^-1)

This is defined as nicely at http://www.radar.mcgill.ca/define_doppler.html
and http://www.rcru.rl.ac.uk/weather/camra_ppi.htm which states that the
radial velocity "is the speed of the wind in the direction the radar is
pointing. Positive values mean the wind is blowing towards the radar,
negative values show that it is moving away. The radar is actually measuring
the speed of rain drops or particles carried in the wind."

The radial velocity can be converted to u and v-wind components but is also
a useful measure in itself and is often plotted by radar meteorologists on a
polar plot.

A number of our users provide radar data containing this parameter. Can it
be added to the standard name list.

Kind regards,

Ag
Ag Stephens Ph : +44 (0)1235 446220