⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Mailing list problems (resolved)

From: Brian Eaton <eaton>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 12:07:17 -0600

Hi All,

Here's a bit more info from the NCAR system admins regarding the recent
problems with the mailman list:

> Our mailman server came under heavy attack last week, and still is. The
focus
> is attempted bogus subscriptions to the exposed lists at a rate of about
4 every
> 10 seconds. We have received over 20,000 attempts from at least 8,000
individual
> IP addresses across the world over the past 10 days.
>
> During the triage the messages could have easily been mixed in with the
the thousands
> of requests that were cleaned out of the moderator queue or could have
been
> (erroneously) dropped by filters at Google. Having the e-mail address of
the members
> would help determine the outcome.
>
> As I said, the server is still under attack, but software
(re)configurations and other
> measures have slowed the attack to manageable, if still somewhat
annoying. Tests
> have successfully send e-mail through the lists, but that's no guarantee
that something
> hasn't been missed.
>
> Peter re-indexed the archives and the messages showed up.

As a bit of clarification here, the cf-metadata list is *not* an
exposed list, it is private, thankfully, or all those bogus subscription
attempts would have ended up in my inbox. But the attack on the server
resulted in some problems for the cf-metadata list.

Brian