⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard names for LS3MIP: 8 temporal changes + 1 feature depth

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 13:48:41 +0100

Dear Martin

Ah, I see. Sorry, I hadn't grasped that point. I certainly don't want to try
to persuade LS3MIP to provide something to suit CF. CF should try to describe
what people want to use.

I think your suggestion below is a good one. We could use the standard_name of
depth with a coordinate variable soil_temperature=0 degC and a cell_methods
specification "where unfrozen_ground", for example. We already use "ground"
in the phrase at_ground_level in several standard names; it means the top of
the soil or rock surface, underneath the snow and ice, if any. "ground" is in
some other names too, and the bare_ground area_type. "unfrozen" is in the
guidelines and in one extant name.

----- Forwarded message from Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC <martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk> -----