⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] PMIP Standard names: isotopic fluxes, mass contents and ratios.

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 15:26:31 +0100

Dear Martin and Alison

> > 10, 11: yes, this is the ratio of oxygen isotope atoms in the sea water molecules. It is true that "sea_water" generally refers to the water and the material dissolved and suspended in it, so these names are perhaps confusing. Perhaps is should be
> > isotope_ratio_of_18O_to_16O_in_sea_water_molecules?

I appreciate this difficulty, but I think that the distinction between
in_sea_water and in_sea_water_molecules wouldn't be easily grasped. Since "sea
water" is the name of the medium, all the molecules in it (including those of
compounds dissolved and suspended) are "sea water molecules" in some sense.
Maybe we could be more explicit e.g.

isotope_ratio_of_18O_to_16O_in_sea_water_excluding_solutes_and_solids