⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] PMIP (including 1 or more that originated in C4MIP) Standard Names: Carbon and Nitrogen terms

From: Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC <martin.juckes>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 15:21:22 +0000

Hello Jonathan,

I think the usage of "expressed_as" has crept into new areas, while remaining consistent with the definition as given in the standard names. The current help text says "It means that the quantity indicated by the standard name is calculated solely with respect to the B contained in A, neglecting all other chemical constituents of A", what you are implying is a more restrictive interpretation with some understanding that "A_expressed_as_B" is an alternative representation of A (as surface_downward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide_expressed_as_carbon would be, for most climate modellers, a simple multiple of surface_downward_mass_flux_of_carbon_dioxide [if the latter existed in the standard name table]). There are a number of terms in the standard name table for which this additional implication does not hold.

Looking at the existing names I noticed there construction "content_of", which cannot be used directly here, but might be helpful, as in "vegetation_mass_content_of_13C". For the gpp terms we can't use "content", but could perhaps replace it with "flux": gross_primary_productivity_of_biomass_mass_flux_of_13C.

This would require, I think, a change of the existing term gross_primary_productivity_of_biomass_expressed_as_carbon to gross_primary_productivity_of_biomass_mass_flux_of_carbon

Would that be an improvement?

regards,

Martin