⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CMIP6 data request: Precipitation of solid phase water

From: Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC <martin.juckes>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 17:29:08 +0000

Dear Jonathan,

I hadn't spotted the existing usage of frozen_water. My only reservation is that for such names the help text says '"frozen_water" means ice', which would exclude snow. The existing usages of "frozen_water" are all soil quantities for which the subtlety of the distinction between ice and snow is irrelevant. We could modify the help text for atmospheric variables, but is the term "frozen" appropriate for all solid phase water in the atmosphere? Freezing is a process of transforming to solid phase through a reduction in temperature, which might be considered inappropriate for some atmospheric ice and snow formation pathways ... I'm not sure about this, what do you think?

regards,

Martin