⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] how to use ocean_mixed_layer_thickness_defined_by_*

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 18:28:20 +0100

Dear Sebastien

It's interesting that this question hasn't been raised before. Thanks for doing
so now. I agree that new standard names would be appropriate. There are already
some standard names containing "difference" in various ways. I would suggest
that for your purpose the names don't have to be so specific. You could use
  sea_water_temperature_difference
  sigma_theta_difference
  sigma_t_difference
because in the context of your use of them it is obvious what difference you
mean. That would make these names perhaps useful for other purposes too. This
is like the rather generic name
  air_temperature_threshold
which doesn't indicate what the threshold can be used for. I would also suggest
that the definitions of the three kinds of mixed layer depth should have a
sentence added to say that the threshold should be stored in a coordinate var,
e.g. like the sentence for number_of_days_with_air_temperature_above_threshold.

----- Forwarded message from Sebastien Villaume <sebastien.villaume at ecmwf.int> -----