⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] bounds variable & closed-open intervals

From: Erik Quaeghebeur <E.R.G.Quaeghebeur>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 23:16:05 +0200

Dear Jim,

You wrote:

> Bounds are always inclusive lower / exclusive upper. That's [low, high) in
> common notation. If the cells abut one another, the upper bound for one
> should be identical to the lower bound for then next.

I can find the following in the conventions:

?If adjacent intervals are contiguous, the shared endpoint must be
represented indentically [sic] in each instance where it occurs in the
boundary variable. For example, if the intervals that contain grid points
lat(i) and lat(i+1) are contiguous, then latbnd(i+1,0) = latbnd(i,1).?

This corresponds to your second sentence. However, I have not found any
description of your first sentence. (Wouldn't such an assumption be
limiting? I think I have a dataset where the endpoint is included in the
sample points of the interval and functions as its label.)

Best,

Erik

--
https://ac.erikquaeghebeur.name