⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF conventions and netCDF4 groups

From: Erik Quaeghebeur <E.R.G.Quaeghebeur>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 22:16:58 +0200

Dear Daniel,

> Charlie Zender has led the effort on a draft extension for
> using groups in CF, which I think is very important. You can
> find it here:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KK6IZ2ZmpaUTVgrw-GlFd6almppjvGz6D7nxVTO3BtI/edit

Thanks, that is an interesting read. (Just skimmed the start for now.)

> [?], or at least indicate your support if
> they're in line with your requirements. It sounds like your
> setup would essentially be using an intuitive "scoping"
> mechanism to make higher-level metadata "visible" "from" groups
> lower down the tree, goes in the direction of work done so far..

Yes this scoping approach is what I had in mind. I support that.

The lateral search in case the referred to coordinates are not found higher
in the hierarchy is asking for trouble, though, IMHO. How can users know
the search order? It makes it dangerous to reuse names of (coordinate)
variables, forcing unique names throughout, negating one of the advantages
of a hierarchical approach: structure to order instead of overly long
naming conventions.

Best,

Erik

--