⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF conventions and netCDF4 groups

From: Maarten Sneep <maarten.sneep>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 15:28:51 +0200

On 26/03/18 15:00, Daniel Lee wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> This has been the subject of a lot of discussion and for EUMETSAT it's also an important concern. Last year at the Advancing netCDF-CF workshop, there was a session devoted to it:
> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bz54loClKyEKY1BnNjhyTTBIbEE
>
> Charlie Zender has led the effort on a draft extension for using groups in CF, which I think is very important. You can find it here:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KK6IZ2ZmpaUTVgrw-GlFd6almppjvGz6D7nxVTO3BtI/edit
>
> I haven't seen a lot of motion on this recently, but I'm hoping that we can generate some more momentum at the upcoming netCDF-CF workshop in June. My suggestion: Check out the proposals and get involved, or at least indicate your support if they're in line with your requirements. It sounds like your setup would essentially be using an intuitive "scoping" mechanism to make higher-level metadata "visible" "from" groups lower down the tree, goes in the direction of work done so far..

Sentinel 5 precursor didn't have time to wait for the standards, so we went ahead and
implemented what we consider the most natural extension of the current situation:

* referring to coordinates and ancillary variables is possible as long as the
variable and the coordinate or support variable share the same relevant dimensions.
This means that scoping rules are constrained by the scoping rules for dimensions.

* References within groups use a variable name, references outside the group use a
full HDF-5 path (unix-like, groups separated by slashes).

The structure in S5P is difference for L1B and L2, it looks like you may benefit most
from the L1B structure. See http://www.tropomi.eu/data-products/level-1 specifically
the IODS. There will be an update of this document, related specifically to the
references.

Kind regards,

Maarten Sneep

Maarten Sneep