⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF conventions and netCDF4 groups

From: Erik Quaeghebeur <E.R.G.Quaeghebeur>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 11:13:55 +0200

Dear list,

I have not come across any mention of netCDF4 groups (and other netCDF4
features) in the CF conventions. I was wondering if there are nevertheless
standard ways to use groups.

For example, I have repackaged some statistics data (csv files) from met
masts in netCDF4. I've been trying to apply the CF conventions, but bump
into issues, e.g., of duplication.

Currently, the structure I use is:

root level:
  * time dimension/variable
  * per-instrument-type groups

instrument level:
  * height (of instrument) dimension/variable
  * instrument metadata attributes (not covered by CF conventions)
  * signal groups (some instruments measure more than one signal)

signal level:
  * signal specific metadata, e.g., units (covered by CF conventions, but
for variables)
  * signal statistics variables

statistics variables:
  * data
  * some statistic-specific attributes like cell_methods
  * should I duplicate the signal metadata such as unit here?

The group structure is helpful, because its structure improves
self-descriptiveness, I feel. I guess the structure is also a form of
metadata. But perhaps it is considered out-of-scope for the CF conventions?

Best,

Erik

--
https://ac.erikquaeghebeur.name