⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Fwd: Re: Clarifying standard names for 'mass_concentration_of_*_dry_aerosol_particles'

From: Daniel Neumann <daniel.neumann>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 09:41:44 +0100

Dear Markus and Jonathan,

I fully agree with Markus with respect to having a structure that is
expandable by "pm10" or similar size descriptors.

I would rather drop "aerosol" and keep "in_air". The reason is that we
define the concentration of "ammonium in dry particles" (mass) in "air"
(per volume). This is also suggested by
http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-standard-names/docs/guidelines.html#medium

Using "mass_concentration_of_ammonium_in_dry_aerosol_particles" might be
miss-interpreted as the concentration of "ammonium" in "dry
aerosol_particles" (per volume or per mass) - and not in air.

I also see that

 ? mass_concentration_of_ammonium_in_dry_particles_in_air

is not ambiguous because it might mean

 ? concentration of "ammonium in dry particles" in "air".

or

 ? concentration of "ammonium" in "dry particles in per".

However,

 ? mass_concentration_of_particulate_ammonium_in_air

is lacking the expandability by "pm10" (or whatever).

Regards,
Daniel

On 05.01.2018 09:53, Markus Fiebig wrote:
> Dear Jonathan and Daniel,
>
> just to make an attempt to throw in my 5 cents here:
>
> By definition, the term "aerosol" already means the system of the particles
> together with their carrier gas which, in this context of the atmosphere, is
> air. Thus, "aerosol_particles_in_air" includes the air twice. We may consider
> simply to omit the "in_air", and would end up with:
>
> mass_concentration_of_ammonium_in_dry_aerosol_particles
>
> That way, we'd make clear that only the particle phase is meant, but leave the
> option open for further additions such as "pm10", e.g.
> mass_concentration_of_ammonium_in_pm10_dry_aerosol_particles.
>
> Best regards,
> Markus
>

> Am 04.01.2018 um 17:44 schrieb Jonathan Gregory:
>> Dear Daniel
>>
>> I see. So the new names would be of the form
>> mass_concentration_of_ammonium_in_dry_aerosol_particles_in_air
>> I think that might be liable to misunderstanding. It could mean the mass
>> concentration of the ammonium within the aerosol particles, rather than
>> within the air. Your earlier suggestion
>> mass_concentration_of_particulate_ammonium_in_air
>> does not have that drawback.
>>
>> Best wishes
>>
>> Jonathan
>>
>> ----- Forwarded message from Daniel Neumann <daniel.neumann at io-warnemuende.de> -----
>>
>>> Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 22:46:55 +0100
>>> From: Daniel Neumann <daniel.neumann at io-warnemuende.de>
>>> To: cf-metadata at cgd.ucar.edu
>>> Subject: Re: [CF-metadata] Fwd: Re: Clarifying standard names for
>>> 'mass_concentration_of_*_dry_aerosol_particles'
>>>
>>> Dear Jonathan,

>>> Great.

>>> I didn't include a full list yet. I will create one and send it
>>> around the next days.
>>>
>>> After reading one of the past mailing list posts again and talking
>>> to a former colleague: it might be better to just include an "_in_"
>>> between "X" and "dry_aerosol_particles" in the new names (and maybe
>>> remove aerosol) instead of creating names like
>>> "...particulate_X_in_air". This first version with "_in_" is better
>>> expandable, when particle size fractions like PM10 should be
>>> considered in future (like
>>> "..._X_in_PM10_dry_aerosol_particles_in_air").
>>>
>>> Thank you very much.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Daniel

> --
> Dr. Markus Fiebig
> Senior Scientist
> Dept. Atmospheric and Climate Research (ATMOS)
> Norwegian Institute for Air Research (NILU)
> P.O. Box 100
> N-2027 Kjeller
> Norway
>
> Tel.: +47 6389-8235
> Fax : +47 6389-8050
> e-mail: Markus.Fiebig at nilu.no
> skype: markus.fiebig
>
> P Please consider the environment before printing this email and attachments

Daniel Neumann
Leibniz Institute for Baltic Sea Research Warnemuende
Physical Oceanography and Instrumentation
Seestrasse 15
18119 Rostock
Germany
phone:  +49-381-5197-287