⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Add new integer types to CF?

From: Signell, Richard <rsignell>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 14:11:28 -0400

Evan,

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Manning, Evan M (398B)
<Evan.M.Manning at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> I think the _Unsigned attribute would have been a grand idea before.
>
> But if we?re now allowing explicit unsigned types, what purpose does it serve?

The purpose would be to allow NetCDF3 files to unambiguously represent
unsigned int and byte data, and therefore be CF compliant.

> Do I use the _Unsigned = ?true? attribute on every ubyte, ushort, and uint variable? They?re already clearly unsigned according to the type definition.

It would be unnecessary for NetCDF4 files for the reason you mention.

-Rich

--
Dr. Richard P. Signell   (508) 457-2229
USGS, 384 Woods Hole Rd.