⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Add new integer types to CF?

From: Chris Barker <chris.barker>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 09:43:22 -0700

Sorry to not look deeper and see if this is well specified in the docs
already, but...

integer or byte variables that are to be interpreted as unsigned must
> have the attribute _Unsigned = "true".

What does "interpreted as unsigned" mean? Options off the top of my head:

A) They are used in the same way, but negative values are invalid.

B) The actual bits in the data type are actually in the unsigned form, and
should be cast to an unsigned type to get the right values.

The different, is, for instance, that a 1-byte truly unsigned int can hold
values from 0 to 255, whereas a signed byte int can hold values from -127
to 127.

if (A), then it doesn't matter much, really, data readers will simply read
the values, and they won't hold any negative values, they really don't need
to do anything special when reading manipulating or displaying the data.

if (B), the data readers need to be very careful to do the right thing.

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer
Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax
Chris.Barker at noaa.gov