⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] grid cells with a varying number of cell bounds

From: V Balaji - NOAA Affiliate <v.balaji>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2017 13:22:07 -0400

The relevant section of the UGRID conventions
<https://ugrid-conventions.github.io/ugrid-conventions/#2d-flexible-mesh-mixed-triangles-quadrilaterals-etc-topology>
seems
consistent with this (except _FillValue is suggested).

It goes on to say "...we may use in the future a ragged array, but here we
propose to use _FillValue to indicate faces with smaller number of nodes
than the arrays allow."

Scroll a bit down for a CDL example of a mesh with one triangle and one
quadrilateral.

Thanks,

V. Balaji Office: +1-609-452-6516
Head, Modeling Systems Group, GFDL Mobile: +1-917-273-9824
Princeton University Email:
balaji at princeton.eduhttps://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/v-balaji-homepage