⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] grid cells with a varying number of cell bounds

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 09:53:43 -0700

Dear Jonathan,

I certainly always envisaged the possibility of cells of different
shapes, and we imply that this might be the case in the description of
cell bounds with the explicit mention of "maximum":

/"A boundary variable will have one more dimension than its associated
coordinate or auxiliary coordinate variable./ The additional dimension
should be the most rapidly varying one, and its size is the maximum
number of cell vertices."

I don't see any reason why the convention shouldn't provide for this.
As I recall (and a colleague of mine concurs), commonly used cube-sphere
grids have cells at the 8 "corners" that are a different shape from all
the other cells (and they have a different number of vertices). Would
there be any reason not to explicitly say that for cells with fewer
vertices than the maximum, the missing_value should be used to fill up
the unneeded bounds elements?

Concerning missing values being permitted for "unused elements in
discrete sampling geometries", I agree when a variable is not formally a
function of time (as in examples H.3, H.16, and H.18, H.20, and H.21),
then time may have missing_values, but not when the variable is formally
a function of time as in H.4 and H.5, where time is actually a
coordinate variable. I think in fact that the NUG forbids missing
values in coordinate variables.

best regards,
Karl