⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] grid cells with a varying number of cell bounds

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 16:06:10 +0100

Dear Karl

> Consider a grid consisting of both triangular and rectangular grid
> cells with n total grid cells. In this case the cell_bounds for
> longitude could be dimensioned (n, 4) because there are a maximum of
> 4 cell vertices.
>
> My question is, for the triangular grid cells do we *require* the
> 4th element of the bounds to be set to missing_value? If not, how
> does software decide how many vertices each grid cell has?

As Chris says, I don't think we envisaged a mixture of different sorts of
polygons. The text at the end of sect 7.1 speaks of "p-sided cells" with
"p the number of vertices of the cells". It doesn't suggest that p could
be multivalued. We could clarify that with a defect ticket.

The proposal by Dave Blodgett and others for simple geometries
https://cf-trac.llnl.gov/trac/ticket/164
https://github.com/dblodgett-usgs/cf-conventions/blob/7768e33e7edff459482e8ef8057ea6b8e015c9eb/ch07.adoc
does allow for a mixture of different polygons to define the cells of a grid.

> Also, in H.2.3 examples H.4 and H.5, missing_value is defined for
> the time coordinate, time(time). I don't think coordinates are
> allowed to include missing values. Is this a "defect" in our
> document?

No. It's not normally allowed, but it is permitted for unused elements in
discrete sampling geometries. See section 9.6.