⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Two new oceanic standard names for inorganic nitrogen and iron

From: Daniel Neumann <daniel.neumann>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 09:11:48 +0200

Dear Roy,

Thank you for the fast reply.

> My first comment is that either this Standard Name should be changed
> to mass_concentration_of_dissolved_inorganic_nitrogen_in_sea_water
> with references to 'inorganic nitrogen' in the definition changed to
> 'dissolved inorganic nitrogen' or your proposal should lose the
> 'dissolved'. My preference would be to have 'dissolved' in both
> Standard Names. Would you agree?

I agree - it should be consistent for both names - and my preference is
the same.

> My second comment is that whilst your proposal is for the
> 'mole_concentration' analogue to
> mass_concentration_of_inorganic_nitrogen_in_sea_water, your definition
> text whilst based on its definition, has been subtly changed with the
> first sentence removed. Was this intentional and if so why?
>
> Your proposal for iron looks fine to me.

Thanks for pointing it out. It was not intentional. I missed the
sentence. The description should actually be:

"molarity", and is used in the construction
"mole_concentration_of_X_in_Y", where X is a material constituent of Y.
A chemical or biological species denoted by X may be described by a
single term such as "nitrogen" or a phrase such as
"nox_expressed_as_nitrogen". "Dissolved inorganic nitrogen" describes a
family of chemical species which, in an ocean model, usually includes
nitrite, nitrate and ammonium which act as nitrogen nutrients.
"Dissolved inorganic nitrogen" is the term used in standard names for
all species belonging to the family that are represented within a given
model. The list of individual species that are included in a quantity
having a group chemical standard name can vary between models. Where
possible, the data variable should be accompanied by a complete
description of the species represented, for example, by using a comment
attribute.

Cheers,
Daniel

e-mail: daniel.neumann at io-warnemuende.de