⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Two new oceanic standard names for inorganic nitrogen and iron

From: Lowry, Roy K. <rkl>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 15:45:43 +0000

Dear Daniel,

We already have a 'mass_concentration_of_inorganic_nitrogen_in_sea_water, in which 'inorganic nitrogen' is defined as:

'Inorganic nitrogen' describes a family of chemical species which, in an ocean model, usually includes nitrite, nitrate and ammonium which act as nitrogen nutrients. 'Inorganic nitrogen' is the term used in standard names for all species belonging to the family that are represented within a given model. The list of individual species that are included in a quantity having a group chemical standard name can vary between models. Where possible, the data variable should be accompanied by a complete description of the species represented, for example, by using a comment attribute.'

My first comment is that either this Standard Name should be changed to mass_concentration_of_dissolved_inorganic_nitrogen_in_sea_water with references to 'inorganic nitrogen' in the definition changed to 'dissolved inorganic nitrogen' or your proposal should lose the 'dissolved'. My preference would be to have 'dissolved' in both Standard Names. Would you agree?

My second comment is that whilst your proposal is for the 'mole_concentration' analogue to mass_concentration_of_inorganic_nitrogen_in_sea_water, your definition text whilst based on its definition, has been subtly changed with the first sentence removed. Was this intentional and if so why?

Your proposal for iron looks fine to me.

Cheers, Roy.

Please note that I partially retired on 01/11/2015. I am now only working 7.5 hours a week and can only guarantee e-mail response on Wednesdays, my day in the office. All vocabulary queries should be sent to enquiries at bodc.ac.uk. Please also use this e-mail if your requirement is urgent.