⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Another CF complaince checker -- from IOOS --- with some issues

From: martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk <martin.juckes>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 12:44:58 +0000

Dear All,

Jonathan makes a fair point that there is no such thing as certified CF compliance.

On sample files with interesting errors, the CMIP5 archive provides an interesting range of examples. In the process of trying to provide constructive feedback to the IOOS team I shrank (by reducing lat, long and time axis lengths) and partially annonymised (by overwriting institute, contact and model names) 6 CMIP5 files ( https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6AWgiTrQ0xFdmdpczZwQjNMRUU ) . Documenting them sufficiently to be useful to users would be more work .. and its not clear how best to document them. Putting extended comments in the NetCDF files would be possible, but it might be easier to link to a web page with information (e.g. http://cfconventions.org/samplefile/notes/ex003.html) explaining the example and options. It would be possible to add a list of errors and warnings in a global attribute(s).

Perhaps it should be considered standard practise to create a sample file implementing each new feature introduced and one or two versions with errors which highlight concerns raised in dicussions. Once correct example has been ceated, editing one or two attributes to create and invalid version would not be hard,

regards,
Martin

Agree with the overall thread. Having well-documented examples in either sense is a great step.

The examples on the NOAA site (sorry, imprecise reference without my computer handy) showing how to structure and document different kinds of marine observations might be a good start for such a collection.

Crowd-sourcing other submissions might be a nice way to build a very useful resource.

John