⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Another CF complaince checker -- from IOOS --- with some issues

From: martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk <martin.juckes>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 12:37:22 +0000

Hello All,

Following discussions with a colleague (As Stephens) I've taken a look at the IOOS compliance-checker, which contains a module for checking how files comply with the CF convention. I looked at 4 files with known CF errors, and found an average of two erroneous reports per file (listed in an issue which I raised on their github site: https://github.com/ioos/compliance-checker/issues/501 ). There are also ambiguities arising from the fact that they use priority 1 (low) to 3 (high) rather than INFO, WARN, ERROR -- but I haven't gone into all of these in the issue raised.

I'm raising it here as well because I'd like to hear other views on the broader question of community tools associated with CF. It is good that people are getting engaged and working through the details of the convention, not so good if they produce and spread misleading information. In its current state, I don't think the IOOS compliance checker is one we would want to approve, but if they fix the 8 problems identified from a morning looking through the results from tests on 4 files, does that make it OK? or, since the 8 problems I've raised come from looking at a small set of files, should we assume that there are many other problems and ask them to do more?

regards,
Martin