⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard names for CF trac ticket #143

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 12:32:20 -0400

Alison,

Fair enough! I agree that alternative options run from awkward to
onerous, but that sometimes is the price it seems we must pay when
defining standard names. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Grace and peace,

Jim

On 7/5/17 12:06 PM, alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk wrote:
> Dear Jim,
>
> It's a fair question, but I think there is a distinction between using "surface" as part of a standard name, and using it as an English word in the definitions which are meant to describe and explain the name in more detail.
>
> When "surface" occurs in a name it always does mean the lower boundary of the atmosphere (except in one or two cases where, for historical reasons, it means "near the lower boundary of the atmosphere", e.g. sea_surface_temperature).
>
> When we use the word "surface" in definitions it often does also mean the lower boundary of the atmosphere and I think that is always clear from the context. In a few cases, the word "surface" is used to describe some conceptual rather than actual physical surface, for example, in this thread I have suggested a new definition for air_pressure of 'Air pressure is the force per unit area which would be exerted when the moving gas molecules of which the air is composed strike a theoretical surface of any orientation' and we have agreed a definition of 'The "geopotential datum" is any estimated surface of constant geopotential used as a datum i.e. a reference level; for the geoid as a datum, specific standard names are available.' I would hope the fact that we are saying "theoretical surface" and "estimated surface" would be enough to avoid confusion with any particular physical surface. We do also have existing names whose definitions use this more general interpretation of "surface". For example, angle_of_em
ergence is defined as 'The angle of emergence is that between the direction of a beam of radiation emerging from the surface of a medium and the normal to that surface' where again I think the context is clear.

> If you find any examples of standard name definitions which say "surface" and the context isn't clear, please let me know and we can try to improve them. In general though, I think avoiding the use of the word "surface" entirely in definitions except to mean the lower boundary of the atmosphere would make life rather difficult. It would be a bit like trying to give directions to someone without being allowed to use the words "left" or "right" - an interesting exercise but one that could lead to some unnecessarily complicated instructions!
>
> Best wishes,
> Alison
>
> ------
> Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
> Centre for Environmental Data Analysis Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
> STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
> R25, 2.22
> Harwell Campus, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.

CICS-NC <http://www.cicsnc.org/> Visit us on
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc> 	*Jim Biard*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>
NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information <http://ncdc.noaa.gov/>
/formerly NOAA?s National Climatic Data Center/
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbiard at cicsnc.org <mailto:jbiard at cicsnc.org>
o: +1 828 271 4900
/Connect with us on Facebook for climate
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and ocean and geophysics
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIoceangeo> information, and follow us
on Twitter at _at_NOAANCEIclimate <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and
_at_NOAANCEIocngeo <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIocngeo>. /