⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Sea water pH values: at standard or in-situ conditions?

From: John Dunne - NOAA Federal <john.dunne>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 13:58:18 -0400

Hi Matthias,

I'm going to have to go with in-situ, unless someone can correct me
otherwise. I'm 86.33% confident, however. I have been looking at Jim
Orr's documentation (
http://www.geosci-model-dev-discuss.net/gmd-2016-155/gmd-2016-155.pdf), and
it cites:

Dickson, A. G., Sabine, C. L., and Christian, J. R.: Guide to best
practices for ocean CO2 measurements, , PICES Special Publication 3, 191
pp., http://aquaticcommons.org/1443/, 2007.
which gives the calculations for pH on the total scale in SOP6a and SOP6b
as a function of insitu T as a variable. Also, I would argue from an
environmental science perspective that we *should* be posting the insitu
variable.

Hope that helps! John