⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard names for atmospheric sea salt and for nitrogen deposition

From: Daniel Neumann <daniel.neumann>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 19:48:04 +0200

Dear Alison,

Thank you very much for taking your time to send the detailed reply to
my proposal. I agree with most of the suggested improvements.

I agree with you that 'sea_salt' is more appropriate than 'seasalt'.
Feel free to change all proposed sea salt standard names to 'sea_salt'.

Writing '*_sea_salt_dry_aerosol_particles_expressed_as_cations_*' for
the sea salt cation standard names is fine.

mass_concentration_of_chloride_dry_aerosol_particles_in_air:
mass_fraction_of_chloride_dry_aerosol_particles_in_air:

> The names you are suggesting seem to refer to all chloride aerosol in
air,
> regardless of whether it originated as sea salt. Is that the correct
interpretation?

Yes, that is the correct interpretation.

I would suggest to keep '_chloride_dry_aerosol_particles_' instead of
changing it to '_dry_aerosol_particles_expressed_as_chloride_'. The
formulation '_A_expressed_as_B_' seems to appropriate in situations, in
which (a) B is a reasonable metric for A and (b) B is an element of
which A consists:
   - '...sulfate...expressed_as_sulfur...' or
   - '...organic_matter...expressed_as_carbon...' .

The particulate mass concentrations (and fractions) of nitrate and
ammonium are denoted as '_nitrate/ammonium_dry_aerosol_particles_'.
Although nitrate and ammonium are aerosols that consist of more than one
atom, the naming convention for other ions, such as chloride, should be
consistent.

mole_concentration_of_chloride_in_air :

> I assume the intention of this name is to refer to all chloride
compounds
> in air, whether aerosol or gaseous. Is that correct? Does chloride occur
> on its own as a radical or ion in the atmosphere? If so, is it also
> included in this quantity?

I am not quite sure why I suggested this standard name. Probably, I just
wanted to add this standard name for the sake of completeness ... . As
you say it is ambiguous and I do not see any application of this
standard name (anymore). Therefore, please drop this suggestion.

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_*_nitrogen_due_to_deposition:

Regarding the nitrogen deposition I agree with you that the proposed
names are ambiguous. The mass of only the nitrogen contained in the
various species should be described by the standard name. Therefore,
please add your first suggestion to standard name list (the same for all
subsequent nitrogen deposition standard names):

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_oxidized_nitrogen_compounds_expressed_as_nitrogen_due_to_deposition

> Obviously the precise wording of the definition would depend on which
> syntax we choose, but in either case I would include the following
> sentence : ' "Oxidized nitrogen compounds" means all chemical species
> containing nitrogen atoms with an oxidation state greater than zero'
> before listing the most common species.

I agree. Please add the sentence.

> We recently added three nitrogen_deposition names that you proposed:
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_nitrogen_due_to_deposition
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_nitrogen_due_to_dry_deposition
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_nitrogen_due_to_wet_deposition
> in which the definitions say '...'
> I realise now that these names (and definitions) suffer from the same
> ambiguity as the current proposal. Neither the names nor the definitions
> really make clear whether we are talking about the mass of the nitrogen
> in the compounds or the total mass of the compounds. Whatever the
outcome
> of the current discussion, we should update the three existing names to
> be consistent.

I agree. Please update them accordingly.

tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_*_nitrogen_due_to_deposition:

> As with the atmosphere mass content names, my question is: does the name
> mean moles of nitrogen contained in the compounds, or moles of the
> compounds? (I appreciate that they might be the same number if each
> molecule of the compound contains one nitrogen atom, but that won't
> necessarily always be the case. For example, some of the oxidised
> nitrogen species contain more than one atom of N).

I didn't consider that situation. Please use your first suggestion for
this standard name and the subsequent standard names:

tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_reduced_nitrogen_compounds_expressed_as_nitrogen_due_to_deposition

Best wishes,
Daniel

df. The AMS glossaryhttp://glossary.ametsoc.org uses variously 'sea salt' and 'sea-salt' but not 'seasalt'. Also, in CF standard names we refer to 'sea_water', not 'seawater', so in terms of achieving overall consistency I think 'sea_salt' is the better option and I propose we standardize on that. Unless there are any objections to this change I will create the sixteen aliases at the next update of the standard name table, planned for 26th June. In commenting on your individual proposals I have also taken the liberty of changing 'seasalt' to 'sea_salt' throughout - I hope that's okay.

> [...]
>
> 3. mass_concentration_of_sea_salt_cation_dry_aerosol_particles_in_air (kg m-3)
> 'Mass concentration means mass per unit volume and is used in the construction mass_concentration_of_X_in_Y, where X is a material constituent of Y. "Aerosol" means the system of suspended liquid or solid particles in air (except cloud droplets) and their carrier gas, the air itself. Aerosol particles take up ambient water (a process known as hygroscopic growth) depending on the relative humidity and the composition of the particles. "Dry aerosol particles" means aerosol particles without any water uptake. "seasalt_cation" summarizes cationic sea salt componds. Depending on the model or the measurement, these are mainly sodium (Na+) but also potassium (K+), magnesium (Mg2+), calcium (Ca2+) and rarer cations. Where possible, the data variable should be accompanied by a complete description of the ions represented, for example, by using a comment attribute.'
>
> Thank you for your detailed explanation of why it is important to have standard names for sea_salt_cation mass as well as simply sea_salt. In standard names we use the phrase 'expressed_as' when talking about the mass of a chemical constituent of a species, for example, atmosphere_mass_content_of_nox_expressed_as_nitrogen means the mass of the nitrogen contained in the nox. There are very many similar examples (over 100) currently in the standard name table. I think it would be consistent to take the same approach for your cation names. Your third proposal would then become:
> mass_concentration_of_sea_salt_dry_aerosol_particles_expressed_as_cations_in_air (kg m-3)
>
> Based on your definition and our usual wording for 'expressed_as' names, the definition for this name would then be:
> ''Mass concentration means mass per unit volume and is used in the construction mass_concentration_of_X_in_Y, where X is a material constituent of Y. A chemical species denoted by X may be described by a single term such as "nitrogen" or a phrase such as "nox_expressed_as_nitrogen". The phrase "expressed_as" is used in the construction A_expressed_as_B, where B is a chemical constituent of A. It means that the quantity indicated by the standard name is calculated solely with respect to the B contained in A, neglecting all other chemical constituents of A. "Aerosol" means the system of suspended liquid or solid particles in air (except cloud droplets) and their carrier gas, the air itself. Aerosol particles take up ambient water (a process known as hygroscopic growth) depending on the relative humidity and the composition of the particles. "Dry aerosol particles" means aerosol particles without any water uptake. The phrase "sea_salt_cation" is the term used in standard names to describe collectively the gro
up of cationic species that occur in sea salt. The list of individual species that are included in a quantity having a group chemical standard name can vary between models. Sea salt cations are mainly sodium (Na+), but also include potassium (K+), magnesium (Mg2+), calcium (Ca2+) and rarer cations. Where possible, the data variable should be accompanied by a complete description of the ions represented, for example, by using a comment attribute.'

> Okay?
>
> We need to take the same approach with all the cation names, and indeed the chloride names, so if we can agree this one I think we can also go ahead and agree proposals 4 - 9.
>
> 4. mass_fraction_of_pm10_sea_salt_cation_dry_aerosol_particles_in_air (1)
> 'Mass fraction is used in the construction "mass_fraction_of_X_in_Y", where X is a material constituent of Y. It means the ratio of the mass of X to the mass of Y (including X). Aerosol particles take up ambient water (a process known as hygroscopic growth) depending on the relative humidity and the composition of the particles. "Aerosol" means the system of suspended liquid or solid particles in air (except cloud droplets) and their carrier gas, the air itself. "Dry aerosol particles" means aerosol particles without any water uptake. "Pm10 aerosol" is an air pollutant with an aerodynamic diameter of less than or equal to 10 micrometers. "seasalt_cation" summarizes cationic sea salt componds. Depending on the model or the measurement, these are mainly sodium (Na+) but also potassium (K+), magnesium (Mg2+), calcium (Ca2+) and rarer cations. Where possible, the data variable should be accompanied by a complete description of the ions represented, for example, by using a comment attribute.
>
> Following on from my comments in (3), I suggest that we write this name as follows:
> mass_fraction_of_pm10_sea_salt_dry_aerosol_particles_expressed_as_cations_in_air (1)
> 'Mass fraction is used in the construction "mass_fraction_of_X_in_Y", where X is a material constituent of Y. It means the ratio of the mass of X to the mass of Y (including X). A chemical species denoted by X may be described by a single term such as "nitrogen" or a phrase such as "nox_expressed_as_nitrogen". The phrase "expressed_as" is used in the construction A_expressed_as_B, where B is a chemical constituent of A. It means that the quantity indicated by the standard name is calculated solely with respect to the B contained in A, neglecting all other chemical constituents of A. "Aerosol" means the system of suspended liquid or solid particles in air (except cloud droplets) and their carrier gas, the air itself. Aerosol particles take up ambient water (a process known as hygroscopic growth) depending on the relative humidity and the composition of the particles. "Dry aerosol particles" means aerosol particles without any water uptake. "Pm10 aerosol" means atmospheric particulate compounds with an aerod
ynamic diameter of less than or equal to 10 micrometers. The phrase "sea_salt_cation" is the term used in standard names to describe collectively the group of cationic species that occur in sea salt. The list of individual species that are included in a quantity having a group chemical standard name can vary between models. Sea salt cations are mainly sodium (Na+), but also include potassium (K+), magnesium (Mg2+), calcium (Ca2+) and rarer cations. Where possible, the data variable should be accompanied by a complete description of the ions represented, for example, by using a comment attribute.'

> Okay?
>
> 5. mass_fraction_of_pm2p5_sea_salt_cation_dry_aerosol_particles_in_air (1)
> 'Mass fraction is used in the construction "mass_fraction_of_X_in_Y", where X is a material constituent of Y. It means the ratio of the mass of X to the mass of Y (including X). "Aerosol" means the system of suspended liquid or solid particles in air (except cloud droplets) and their carrier gas, the air itself. Aerosol particles take up ambient water (a process known as hygroscopic growth) depending on the relative humidity and the composition of the particles. "Dry aerosol particles" means aerosol particles without any water uptake. "Pm2p5 aerosol" is an air pollutant with an aerodynamic diameter of less than or equal to 2.5 micrometers. "seasalt_cation" summarizes cationic sea salt componds. Depending on the model or the measurement, these are mainly sodium (Na+) but also potassium (K+), magnesium (Mg2+), calcium (Ca2+) and rarer cations. Where possible, the data variable should be accompanied by a complete description of the ions represented, for example, by using a comment attribute.'
>
> Following on from my comments in (3), I suggest that we write this name as follows:
> mass_fraction_of_pm2p5_sea_salt_dry_aerosol_particles_expressed_as_cations_in_air (1)
> 'Mass fraction is used in the construction "mass_fraction_of_X_in_Y", where X is a material constituent of Y. It means the ratio of the mass of X to the mass of Y (including X). A chemical species denoted by X may be described by a single term such as "nitrogen" or a phrase such as "nox_expressed_as_nitrogen". The phrase "expressed_as" is used in the construction A_expressed_as_B, where B is a chemical constituent of A. It means that the quantity indicated by the standard name is calculated solely with respect to the B contained in A, neglecting all other chemical constituents of A. "Aerosol" means the system of suspended liquid or solid particles in air (except cloud droplets) and their carrier gas, the air itself. Aerosol particles take up ambient water (a process known as hygroscopic growth) depending on the relative humidity and the composition of the particles. "Dry aerosol particles" means aerosol particles without any water uptake. "Pm2p5 aerosol" means atmospheric particulate compounds with an aero
dynamic diameter of less than or equal to 2.5 micrometers. The phrase "sea_salt_cation" is the term used in standard names to describe collectively the group of cationic species that occur in sea salt. The list of individual species that are included in a quantity having a group chemical standard name can vary between models. Sea salt cations are mainly sodium (Na+), but also include potassium (K+), magnesium (Mg2+), calcium (Ca2+) and rarer cations. Where possible, the data variable should be accompanied by a complete description of the ions represented, for example, by using a comment attribute.'

> [...]
> mass_fraction_of_dry_aerosol_particles_expressed_as_chloride_in_air (1)
> 'Mass fraction is used in the construction "mass_fraction_of_X_in_Y", where X is a material constituent of Y. It means the ratio of the mass of X to the mass of Y (including X). A chemical species denoted by X may be described by a single term such as "nitrogen" or a phrase such as "nox_expressed_as_nitrogen". The phrase "expressed_as" is used in the construction A_expressed_as_B, where B is a chemical constituent of A. It means that the quantity indicated by the standard name is calculated solely with respect to the B contained in A, neglecting all other chemical constituents of A. "Aerosol" means the system of suspended liquid or solid particles in air (except cloud droplets) and their carrier gas, the air itself. Aerosol particles take up ambient water (a process known as hygroscopic growth) depending on the relative humidity and the composition of the particles. "Dry aerosol particles" means aerosol particles without any water uptake. The chemical formula for chloride is Cl-.'
>
> 12. mole_concentration_of_chloride_in_air (mol m-3)
> 'Mole concentration means number of moles per unit volume, also called "molarity", and is used in the construction mole_concentration_of_X_in_Y, where X is a material constituent of Y. A chemical species denoted by X may be described by a single term such as 'nitrogen' or a phrase such as 'nox_expressed_as_nitrogen'. The chemical formula for chloride is Cl-.'
>
> I assume the intention of this name is to refer to all chloride compounds in air, whether aerosol or gaseous. Is that correct? Does chloride occur on its own as a radical or ion in the atmosphere? If so, is it also included in this quantity?
>
> 13. tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_oxidized_nitrogen_due_to_deposition (kg m-2 s-1)
> ' "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "atmosphere content" of a quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface to the top of the atmosphere. For the content between specified levels in the atmosphere, standard names including "content_of_atmosphere_layer" are used. "tendency_of_X" means derivative of X with respect to time. The specification of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. "Deposition" is the sum of wet and dry deposition. Usually, particle bound and gaseous nitrogen compounds, such as nitrogen monoxide (NO), nitrogen dioxide (NO2), dinitrogen pentoxide (N2O5), nitric acid (HNO3), nitrate (NO3-), peroxynitric acid (HNO4), bromine nitrate (BrONO2), chlorine nitrate (ClONO2) and organic nitrates (most notably peroxyacetyl nitrate, sometimes referred to as PAN, (CH3COO2NO2)), are included. The list of individual species that a
re included in this quantity can vary between models. Where possible, the data variable should be accompanied by a complete description of the species represented, for example, by using a comment attribute.'

--
Daniel Neumann
Leibniz Institute for Baltic Sea Research Warnemuende
e-mail:daniel.neumann at io-warnemuende.de