⇐ ⇒

(unknown charset) [CF-metadata] standard names under ice velocity of water

From: (unknown charset) Ute Brönner <Ute.Broenner>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 14:39:13 +0000

Hei from Norway!

Our institute produces metocean data including currents and ice with the variables

eastward_sea_ice_velocity and northward_sea_ice_velocity
surface_eastward_sea_water_velocity and surface_northward_sea_water_velocity

The latter include the velocity of water and ice together:
"Water" means water in all phases, including frozen i.e. ice and snow. A velocity is a vector quantity. "Eastward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed eastward (negative westward).

We are also storing the velocity of water under the ice (which one could assume as the difference of the two above, slightly more complicated I think). What would be the standard name for that velocity? If there isn't any yet, may we propose
underice_eastward_sea_water_velocity and underice_northward_sea_water_velocity?

With kind regards / med vennlig hilsen,
Ute

Ute Br?nner
Research Scientist & Senior Project Manager

SINTEF Ocean
Environmental Technology, Monitoring and Modelling
www.sintef.no/DREAM, www.sintef.no/OSCAR

Direct phone (+47) 998 98 987
Visiting: Bratt?rkaia 17C
Post: SINTEF Ocean AS, Postbox 4762 Sluppen, N-7465 Trondheim

? ?Consider the environment before printing. Less print-outs, more trees, better planet.