⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard names for NEMO ocean model output

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 16:41:38 +0000

Dear Jonathan and Sebastien,

Thank you both for your comments. I think we are now agreed on the following names (with definitions as given in my previous email http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2017/059392.html):

1. sea_water_mass_per_unit_area_expressed_as_thickness (m)
2. ocean_mixed_layer_thickness_defined_by_vertical_tracer_diffusivity_threshold (m)
2a. The existing name ocean_mixed_layer_thickness_defined_by_vertical_tracer_diffusivity will become an alias of ocean_mixed_layer_thickness_defined_by_vertical_tracer_diffusivity_deficit (m).
6. ratio_of_sea_water_potential_temperature_anomaly_to_relaxation_timescale (K s-1)
7. ratio_of_sea_water_practical_salinity_anomaly_to_relaxation_timescale (s-1)
8. integral_of_sea_water_practical_salinity_wrt_depth (m)

These names are accepted for publication in the standard name table and will be added at the next update, scheduled for 24th April.

I think we have also agreed to drop proposal (9) integral_of_sea_water_practical_salinity_wrt_total_depth (m) because it is the same quantity as (8).

For the 'steric' names, Jonathan feels these should indicate that the term relates to a change in local sea level, rather than simply water column thickness, and Sebastien is keen that we adopt a common approach for all three names. We have a number of "sea_surface_height_above_X" names where X is variously "geoid", "reference_ellipsoid", etc. Based on this syntax I would then suggest the following names:

3. steric_change_in_sea_surface_height_above_sea_floor (m)
' "Sea surface height" is a time-varying quantity. The steric change in sea surface height is the change in height a water column of standard temperature T=0?C and practical salinity S=35.0 would undergo when its temperature and salinity are changed to the observed values. The sum of the quantities with standard names thermosteric_change_in_sea_surface_height_above_sea_floor and halosteric_change_in_sea_surface_height_above_sea_floor is the total steric change in the water column height, which has the standard name of steric_change_in_sea_surface_height_above_sea_floor. The sum of the quantities with standard names sea_water_mass_per_unit_area_expressed_as_thickness and steric_change_in_sea_surface_height_above_sea_floor is the total thickness of the sea water column.'

4. halosteric_change_in_sea_surface_height_above_sea_floor (m)
' "Sea surface height" is a time-varying quantity. The halosteric change in sea surface height is the change in height a water column of standard practical salinity S=35.0 would undergo when its salinity is changed to the observed value. The sum of the quantities with standard names thermosteric_change_in_sea_surface_height_above_sea_floor and halosteric_change_in_sea_surface_height_above_sea_floor is the total steric change in the water column height, which has the standard name of steric_change_in_sea_surface_height_above_sea_floor.'

5. thermosteric_change_in_sea_surface_height_above_sea_floor (m)
' "Sea surface height" is a time-varying quantity. The thermosteric change in sea surface height is the change in height a water column of standard temperature T=0?C would undergo when its temperature is changed to the observed value. The sum of the quantities with standard names thermosteric_change_in_sea_surface_height_above_sea_floor and halosteric_change_in_sea_surface_height_above_sea_floor is the total steric change in the water column height, which has the standard name of steric_change_in_sea_surface_height_above_sea_floor.'

Are these better?

Best wishes,
Alison

------