⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard names for NEMO ocean model output

From: Sebastien Villaume <sebastien.villaume>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 10:51:22 +0000 (GMT-00:00)

Dear Alison et al,

we are happy with your suggestions/modifications.

I also understand from your comments to integral_of_sea_water_practical_salinity_wrt_depth that my proposal to rename integral_of_sea_water_potential_temperature_wrt_depth_expressed_as_heat_content for consistency is no longer required.

Regarding Jonathan comments, I think we (Eric, Kevin, myself) are fine with "thickness", "thickness_change", "height" or "height_change" for the steric, halosteric and thermosteric contributions as long as it is consistent for the three standard names and other related names.

In the future, we may want to produce the steric, halosteric and thermosteric contributions of each water cell of the column, not only for the whole water column. The definitions of the present standard names and the possibility to derive new standard names for this future situation need to be taken into account.

one more question: what is the standard name corresponding to sea_water_mass_per_unit_area_expressed_as_thickness (at 0degC, 35psu) + ocean_steric_thickness? i.e the total thickness of the water column? it is not clear to me if it exists or if we should use sea_water_mass_per_unit_area_expressed_as_thickness and point to an auxiliary variable sea_water_density at XdegC and Ypsu...

thanks,
Sebastien

Dr. S?bastien Villaume
Analyst