⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] WG: proposal for two new standard_names and an additional chemical species

From: Lowry, Roy K. <rkl>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 10:38:25 +0000

Hi Alison,

The 'in equilibrium' in pCO2 definition refers to the air in the analytical equipment and so has nothing to do with air-sea interface equilibrium. pCO2 is measured by using something like a shower-head or a column full of marbles to equilibrate the water sample with a stream of air that is then passed into a gas analyser. Consequently, the Standard Name makes no statement about the depth from which the water was taken. The same would apply to methane.

Whilst it is usual to measure pCO2 in surface waters, I have come across measurements on water bottle samples collected at depth.

Cheers, Roy.

Please note that I partially retired on 01/11/2015. I am now only working 7.5 hours a week and can only guarantee e-mail response on Wednesdays, my day in the office. All vocabulary queries should be sent to enquiries at bodc.ac.uk. Please also use this e-mail if your requirement is urgent.