⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names request

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 12:49:32 +0000

Hi Allen,

Thanks for your standard name proposals and thanks to Steve and Roy for the discussion.

We could introduce names for volume_mixing_ratio as Roy suggests and I am OK with this if it is your preferred approach. However, I note that where we have referred to 'mixing_ratio' in other names such as humidity_mixing_ratio and cloud_liquid_water_mixing_ratio these are actually defined as mass fractions. Indeed, for chemical species other than H2O we would probably have given them mass_fraction names.

An alternative to describing your quantities as volume_mixing_ratios would be to call them volume_fractions. We have many existing mass_fraction and mole_fraction names for atmospheric quantities and five existing volume_fraction names for soil water quantities. Whichever names we choose, Roy is correct that the canonical unit would be simply '1', i.e. these are dimensionless quantities. You could still specify a unit of 1e-6 or 1e-9 in your data files as that would be completely compatible with the canonical units.

For existing water vapor quantities we have distinguished between dry and moist air (humidity_mixing_ratio is the ratio of the mass of water vapor to the mass of dry air; specific_humidity is the mass fraction of water vapor in moist air.) You say that your names are for weather balloon data so I assume we are talking about moist air - we should include that in the definition.

Drawing all this together, my suggestion for your standard names would be:

volume_fraction_of_water_vapor_in_air (canonical units:1)
' "Volume fraction" is used in the construction volume_fraction_of_X_in_Y, where X is a material constituent of Y. The quantity with standard name volume_fraction_of_water_vapor_in_air is the volume fraction of water vapor in moist air.'

volume_fraction_of_ozone_in_air (canonical units:1)
' "Volume fraction" is used in the construction volume_fraction_of_X_in_Y, where X is a material constituent of Y. The chemical formula for ozone is O3. The IUPAC name for ozone is trioxygen.'

I appreciate that the information regarding ppmv and ppbv is important for your data but I suggest that rather than putting it in the standard name, units or definition, a better approach would be to also include a long_name attribute in your metadata. This is a non-standardized text string so you could specify something like the following:

dimensions:
  pressure = 100 ;

variables:

  float pressure(pressure) ;
    pressure:standard_name = "air_pressure" ;
    pressure:units = 'Pa' ;

  float wv(pressure) ;
    wv:standard_name = "volume_fraction_of_water_vapor_in_air " ;
    wv:units = "1e-6" ;
    wv:long_name = "atmospheric water vapor mixing ratio in parts per million by volume" ;

  float ozone(pressure) ;
    ozone:standard_name = "volume_fraction_of_water_vapor_in_air " ;
    ozone:units = "1e-9" ;
    ozone:long_name = "atmospheric water vapor mixing ratio in parts per billion by volume" ;

If you could let me know whether you prefer the volume_mixing_ratio or volume_fraction standard names then I think we can agree these quantities and put them in the April update to the standard name table.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065