⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Silicate vs. dissolved inorganic silicon

From: Lowry, Roy K. <rkl>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 11:49:36 +0000

Dear All,

If one makes the assumption that all the silicon and phosphorus atoms not associated with organic ligands are in a single chemical form associated with oxygen in solution then what Martin says is correct. In my experience I have never known anybody challenge this assumption and I cannot think of any other anions incorporating P and Si. Consequently, I would agree that whilst there is a theoretical semantic difference between the members of each Standard Name pair I would agree that this could be ignored and they could be considered synonyms.

Note, this only holds true as these are MOLE concentrations. The MASS concentration of inorganic phosphorus is very different from the MASS concentration of phosphate as the oxygen atoms have mass.

If the decision is taken to take action on this then I would recommend that the 'inorganic_silicon' and 'inorganic_phosphorus' names be than ones to be converted to aliases. This is based on common terminology usage in the oceanographic community.

Cheers, Roy.

Please note that I partially retired on 01/11/2015. I am now only working 7.5 hours a week and can only guarantee e-mail response on Wednesdays, my day in the office. All vocabulary queries should be sent to enquiries at bodc.ac.uk. Please also use this e-mail if your requirement is urgent.