⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Overlapping vertical bounds

From: Manning, Evan M <Evan.M.Manning>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 15:32:51 +0000

When I was researching the topic I came across this:
> When I try and load the file using Ferret, this throws a warning.. Which
> makes me think I?m not doing things correctly:
>
> Ferret v6.93
> yes? use file.nc
> *** NOTE: Axis definition error on axis: time. Bounds describe cells that
> overlap one another

which made me think that overlap was an error. But reading more context I see it is just a ?note?, not an ?error?, and clearly overlapping bounds are accepted.

For my situation of overlapping vertical trapezoids, I now think I should use the full overlapping extent in the ?bounds? variable and explain the full shape of the trapezoids in the main variable?s description attribute.

Is there a better way to communicate the full situation?

  -- Evan