⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Discussion of technical CF issues as GitHub issues?

From: Chris Barker <chris.barker>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 17:17:39 -0800

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 10:08 AM, Jonathan Gregory <
j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk> wrote:

> With some technical effort, the trac system was set up so that all ticket
> updates are sent to everyone on the CF email list. I believe this is an
> important requirement, since we want the trac discussions to be inclusive,
> and
> people won't join in if they don't know they're going on. Can that be
> arranged
> with GitHub?

yes -- gitHub issues integrate very well with email.

> What advantages would GitHub offer over trac? I don't think we
> should have any more channels for discussion; we could agree to replace
> trac
> with GitHub, but it wouldn't be a good idea to maintain both at once.

gitHub has a nicer, more featureful interface and API, and is now more
widely used and thus more familiar to more people. Also, once someone has a
single gitHub identity, they can use that for everything on gitHub -- I
know I'm not that only one that has WAY too many passwords!

So I think we'd get better / more participation.

There was also talk of managing the doc itself on gitHub at some point --
that would be great.

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.