⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard names for OMIP biogeochemistry and chemistry

From: John Dunne - NOAA Federal <john.dunne>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 20:09:57 -0400

Hi Alison and all,

Sorry for the delay. I have been communicating with Jim Orr and Paul
Durack about your points, and have the following responses and proposal. I
am not sure what happens know, so please advise if you want to take the
discussion offline or have me put together a new revised spreadsheet.

Thanks, John

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 2:16 PM, <alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I think a number of the names look fine and could be published in their
> current form (see item 1 below). Paul and Jim, please can you check the
> definitions that I'm suggesting for these names and let me know if you're
> happy with them? (Comments from others are of course welcome).
>
> For the groups of names where some discussion is still required my
> comments are in item 2.
>
> 1. Names that I think can be approved, subject to checking of the
> definitions.
>
> mole_concentration_of_bacteria_expressed_as_carbon_in_sea_water, mol m-3
> mole_concentration_of_dissolved_molecular_oxygen_in_sea_water_at_saturation,
> mol m-3
> mole_concentration_of_dissolved_inorganic_silicon_in_sea_water, mol m-3
> tendency_of_mole_concentration_of_particulate_organic_
> matter_expressed_as_carbon_in_sea_water_due_to_grazing_of_phytoplankton,
> mol m-3 s-1
> ocean_mass_content_of_dissolved_organic_carbon, kg m-2
> ocean_mass_content_of_particulate_organic_matter_expressed_as_carbon, kg
> m-2
> mole_concentration_of_cfc11_in_sea_water, mol m-3
> mole_concentration_of_cfc12_in_sea_water, mol m-3
> surface_downward_mole_flux_of_cfc11, mol m-2 s-1
> surface_downward_mole_flux_of_cfc12, mol m-2 s-1
>
> 2. Names requiring further discussion.
>
> a. Phosphorus names
> Sorry that I didn't notice it when previewing the names, but I have
> realized that 'phosphorus' is misspelled in the proposals, i.e., it should
> be 'phosphorus', not 'phosphorous'. Subject to this correction and checking
> of the definitions, I think the following names can be approved.
> mole_concentration_of_dissolved_inorganic_phosphorus_in_sea_water, mol m-3
> tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_phosphorous_due_to_biological_production,
> mol m-2 s-1
>
> I will also correct the spelling in three further phosphorus names which
> remain under discussion due to other issues:
> surface_mole_concentration_of_dissolved_inorganic_phosphorous_in_sea_water,
> mol m-3
> surface_mole_concentration_of_particulate_organic_matter_exp
> ressed_as_phosphorus_in_sea_water, mol m-3
> surface_mole_concentration_of_phytoplankton_expressed_as_phosphorus_in_sea_water,
> mol m-3
>
> b. Definitions relating to new chemical species
> It is usual to include a sentence in the definition when a standard name
> refers to a chemical species. There are three new species/isotopes in the
> current set of proposals. I suggest adding a single sentence to the
> definitions of the relevant names as follows:
>
> carbon13: ' "carbon13" means the naturally occurring isotope of carbon
> having six protons and seven neutrons.'
> carbon14: ' "carbon14" means the radioactive isotope of carbon having six
> protons and eight neutrons, used in radiocarbon dating.'
> sulfur_hexafluoride: 'The chemical formula of sulfur hexafluoride is SF6.'

OK

> c. tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_[in]organic_carbon names
>
> My question here refers to the following five proposals:
> tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_inorganic_carbon, mol m-2 s-1
> tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_inorganic_carbon_due_to_
> runoff_and_sediment_dissolution, mol m-2 s-1
> tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_inorganic_carbon_due_to_runoff_and_sedimentation,
> mol m-2 s-1
> tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_organic_carbon_due_to_
> runoff_and_sediment_dissolution, mol m-2 s-1
> tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_organic_carbon_due_to_runoff_and_sedimentation,
> mol m-2 s-1
>
> We have a couple of existing names for tendencies of inorganic carbon
> content, both of which are for dissolved_inorganic_carbon. Am I correct in
> thinking that your names also refer to dissolved amounts? If so, we should
> include it, e.g. tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_inorganic_carbon
> should be tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_dissolved_inorganic_carbon,
> and so on.

These terms are intended to allow users to construct a complete carbon
budget, and were not intended to distinguish between particulate and
dissolved. Should we restrict the definitions and add more terms? add
"total" to the name before "inorganic"? Please note that the names listed
above with "sedimentation" are incorrect. As they are intended to
represent loss from the ocean, they should not have "runoff_and". Like in
Paul's spreadsheet, they should just be "tendency_of_ocean_mole_content
_of_inorganic_carbon_due_to_sedimentation" and
"tendency_of_ocean_mole_content_of_organic_carbon_due_to_sedimentation".
These are effectively both "particulate" since they just represent pelagic
sinking in current models to my knowledge, though it is possible that
models might include insitu benthic organic production and/or inorganic
precipitation which could be represented as a dissolved loss. Of course,
"sediment dissolution" would be just dissolved, but runoff could be either
particulate or dissolved... did you want to distinguish between them?

> d. Surface concentration names
> There are a lot of these: 42 surface_mole_concentration names (units of
> mol m-3), 6 surface_mass_concentration names (kg m-3) and I'm also
> including 2 surface_sea_water_alkalinity (mol m-3) names and 3
> surface_sea_water_ph names in this section.
>
> My concern about these proposals is that the names and units are not
> consistent. In CF standard names, "surface" means the lower boundary of the
> atmosphere. It has no depth, so it is not meaningful to regard it as having
> a mass or a volume. For this reason we can't assign units of kg m-3 or mol
> m-3 to a 'surface' name. I assume that all these quantities are in fact
> "near surface" values, i.e. representative of the top model layer, in which
> case there are two possible ways to deal with this.
>
> The first solution is simply to remove 'surface' from all these names and
> instead use a vertical coordinate or scalar coordinate and coordinate
> bounds to indicate the location and thickness of the layer. This has the
> advantage that many of the required names actually already exist, without
> the need to introduce separate surface names. E.g, instead of adding a new
> name surface_mole_concentration_of_dissolved_inorganic_carbon_in_sea_water,
> you could use the existing name mole_concentration_of_dissolve
> d_inorganic_carbon_in_sea_water accompanied by suitable coordinate
> information to describe your quantity.
>
> The second solution, if you do feel that it is necessary to have distinct
> standard names for all these near-surface quantities, would be to follow
> the approach used in some existing sea_surface names such as
> sea_surface_temperature and sea_surface_salinity. The names would then be
> 'sea_surface' names and there would be an accompanying sentence in the
> definition to explain what that means, i.e. that it refers to water close
> to the surface. You would still also need to include the coordinate
> information and coordinate bounds to fully describe your data. With this
> approach the proposed name surface_mole_concentration_of_
> dissolved_inorganic_carbon_in_sea_water would become
> sea_surface_mole_concentration_of_dissolved_inorganic_carbon.
>
> Either solution would be consistent with the proposed units and I'd be
> happy with either. Please let me know how you prefer to proceed.
>
> As a final point in this section, the three proposed surface_sea_water_ph
> names are dimensionless, but I imagine that these too are really intended
> to represent the top model layer, in which case we should either drop
> 'surface' or change them to 'sea_surface' names too.

While we are sensitive to your and Jonathan's point that it leads to
proliferation of variable names, we prefer the second option, particularly
in light of the variables that we are requesting daily as 2D sea surface
and monthly full 3D. If we are going to go this route, should these names
be
"sea_surface_mass_concentration_of_phytoplankton_expressed_as_chlorophyll_in_sea_water",
or just
"sea_surface_mass_concentration_of_phytoplankton_expressed_as_chlorophyll"

> e. Limitation names
> Jonathan has already raised the question of what 'limitation' means and
> also what measure of the various phytoplankton populations is being
> limited. This is a new concept in standard names so it's important to get
> the definitions right.
>
> John Dunne replied to Jonathan:
> > With respect to the limitation terms, we currently have the definitions
> explained in the "Resolved Comment" column as "Ratio of realizable
> miscellaneous other
> > phytoplankton growth rate under low nitrogen stress to theoretical rate
> without such limitation".
>
> So from this, my understanding is that nitrogen and iron are nutrients
> whose availability promotes the growth of phytoplankton, presumably by
> being absorbed somehow into the organic matter, while solar irradiance is
> clearly the energy source essential to the photosynthesis reaction. John's
> reply talks about growth rate, so I assume that means the growth rate of
> the population of a particular species (as opposed to the growth rate of
> individuals of that species).

Yes, it is a population-level metric.

> Based on this I've attempted a couple of example definitions. If we can
> agree these, then I can go ahead and add the appropriate sentences to all
> the limitation names.
> nitrogen_limitation_of_diatoms (canonical units: 1)
> 'Diatoms are single-celled phytoplankton with an external skeleton made of
> silica. Phytoplankton are autotrophic prokaryotic or eukaryotic algae that
> live near the water surface where there is sufficient light to support
> photosynthesis. Nitrogen is a nutrient essential to the growth of
> phytoplankton populations. "Nitrogen limitation" means the ratio of the
> growth rate of a species population in the environment (where there is a
> finite availability of nitrogen) to the theoretical growth rate if there
> were no such limit on nitrogen availability.'
>

> N.B. For the irradiance names, I suggest we make them 'solar_irradiance'
> to be absolutely clear.
> solar_irradiance_limitation_of_miscellaneous_phytoplankton (canonical
> units:1)
> 'Phytoplankton are autotrophic prokaryotic or eukaryotic algae that live
> near the water surface where there is sufficient light to support
> photosynthesis. "Miscellaneous phytoplankton" are all those phytoplankton
> that are not diatoms, diazotrophs, calcareous phytoplankton,
> picophytoplankton or other separately named components of the phytoplankton
> population. "Irradiance" means the power per unit area (called radiative
> flux in other standard names), the area being normal to the direction of
> flow of the radiant energy. Solar irradiance is essential to the
> photosynthesis reaction and its presence promotes the growth of
> phytoplankton populations. "Solar irradiance limitation" means the ratio of
> the growth rate of a species population in the environment (where the
> amount of sunlight reaching a location may be limited) to the theoretical
> growth rate if there were no such limit on solar irradiance.'

If you think this level of detail is necessary, I am fine with it, though
I'm not sure where it is being proposed the be entered (the comment?) it
seems inconsistent with the lack of detail on most variables. Editorially,
I think adding the fact that they are "single celled", and "prokaryotic or
eukaryotic" seem superfluous (e.g. the models intend to
represent diazotrophs, diatoms, and others groups even when they form
chains)", and "live near the water surface" would probably be better as
simply "grow".

> Comments and suggestions for improvement are welcome!
>
> f. Natural/abiotic component names
> Thank you for the useful discussion that has already taken place about the
> 22 proposed natural_component and abiotic_component names. I hadn't
> previously understood the details of how the OMIP experiments will be run.
>
> Reading through the discussion, I agree with Jonathan that the
> natural_component names seem to be describing the forcing conditions for
> the model, rather than being a separate set of diagnostics that represent
> the effects of some process within the model. Hence I agree that it isn't
> necessary to define separate standard names with due_to_natural_component
> and I'd advocate leaving them out. Is that OK?

I agree that the "due_to_natural_component" reference is potentially
misleading. In the simplest models it is envisioned as a separate tracer
in the same run - in the more complex BGC models where the biological
interactions are pH and/or saturation sensitive - such a tracer is an
approximation (analogue) of what one would get in a full control run, thus
give the moniker of the "natural"

> I think we're agreed that the abiotic names are needed, and if I've
> understood correctly we seem to have agreed to stick with
> due_to_abiotic_component because it works for all the names where it's
> used, including ph names. Is that right?

Like for "natural", this is only an analogue of what would otherwise be a
solubility-driven tracer. To identify these as separate tracers more
clearly, I propose changing the comment and standard names to the following:

"Dissolved inorganic carbon (CO3+HCO3+H2CO3) concentration natural analogue
forced by preindustrial atmospheric xCO2"
mole_concentration_of_dissolved_inorganic_carbon_
natural_analogue_in_sea_water

"Dissolved inorganic carbon (CO3+HCO3+H2CO3) concentration abiotic analogue
ignoring biological effects on carbon and alkalinity"
mole_concentration_of_dissolved_inorganic_carbon_
abiotic_analogue_in_sea_water

Does that make more sense?