⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New Standard Names: frequency_distribution_..... and fractional_X_over_Y

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 18:08:15 -0400

Dear Martin

Thanks for your email. Re
> old names:
> histogram_of_backscattering_ratio_over_height_above_reference_ellipsoid
> histogram_of_equivalent_reflectivity_factor_over_height_above_reference_ellipsoid
>
> Proposed new names:
> frequency_distribution_of_backscattering_ratio
> frequency_distribution_of_equivalent_reflectivity_factor

Perhaps I misunderstood, but I think these are probabilities, aren't they?
Alejandro said they are numbers between 0 and 1.

> fractional_cloud_area_fraction_over_cloud_top_altitude_and_optical_depth

By the same argument as for the probabilies, we do not need the over_* part,
I think. The dependence of the quantity on cloud top altitude and optical depth
will be indicated by its having coordinates in these quantities. Therefore
can't we use the existing standard name cloud_area_fraction for this?