⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Handling time when date is "missing"

From: Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate <dave.allured>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 13:31:30 -0600

Ajay,

I think this is an exception to CF. I recommend using _FillValue or
missing_value on the time coordinate. Document this in a comment attribute
on the time coordinate variable.

Also document this somehow in another global attribute that explains you
made this exception to the CF conventions. Follow CF conventions in all
other regards.

Then, try to remember to warn people about this when you distribute the
data. CF compliant time coordinates are fundamental to many application
programs, and I expect they will choke or introduce subtle errors if
missing values are in there. So users will need to provide special
handling for such files. HTH.

--Dave
(Please reply to list only)