⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Usage of histogram_of_X_over_Z

From: Bodas-Salcedo, Alejandro <alejandro.bodas>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 07:59:48 +0000

Dear Martin,

Thanks for your detailed explanation. I'd like to add a bit more information. These variables are not joint distributions, they are 1D distributions for different ranges of Z. The question is, does "histogram_of_X[_over_Z]" mean that the Z coordinate has to be completely collapsed? It is not clear to that the current definition implies that. If Z is not completely collapsed, you can then end up with a function of the form frequency(lat,lon,X,Z2), where the coordinate Z is only partially collapsed into bins described by Z2. I'm using here Z2 to explicitly show when the Z coordinate represents bins. This would look like a joint histogram, but it is not. I think that your proposal of dropping "_over_Z" from the standard name works for a joint distribution, but not for a collection of 1D distributions along Z, unless there is a way of distinguishing between both cases with the use of attributes.

Another detail is that these histograms provide relative frequencies (values between 0 and 1, not counts), not absolute frequencies. Is that inconsistent with the current definition of histogram in CF?

Regards,

Alejandro