⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Missing data bins in histograms

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 10:24:08 -0700

Hello,

The histogram records frequencies of a single characteristic of a
variable (in this case for cloud top height). I think that information
about whether or not a cloud exists should not be formally a part of the
histogram. We could adopt the convention for this variable that in the
absence of clouds, the cloud is considered to be "under ground" so the
upper bound of the height of a missing cloud would be 0. [This is
akin to Lorenz's definition of the potential temperature isotherms as
coinciding with the ground in his discussion of available potential energy.]

By the way, I couldn't find this variable in the current release of the
CMIP6 data request. Is it there? If not, could you say a bit more
about how the bins are defined? Are they height or pressure bins?

thanks,
Karl