⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Missing data bins in histograms

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 18:17:06 +0100

Dear Martin

I feel there would be an advantage in flexibility, by not requiring the missing
data count to be the first bin necessarily. The new attribute could indicate
the index of the bin which contains the missing data count. I suggest that
this would be an attribute of the coordinate variable of the histogram for the
quantity which is binned (cloud top height), since the index refers to that
dimension specifically.

I agree it would be neat if it were possible instead to put _FillValue in the
coordinate variable. Actually _FillValue is not allowed in coordinate vars by
CF, so as far as CF is concerned it would not be a problem to adopt this as a
new convention. But maybe software would have problems with it. If we need the
new attribute, I'd suggest missing_value_index, to make it more similar to
missing_value and _FillValue. What would you put in the coordinate and bounds
for the missing data bin?

In any case, this needs a new convention to be proposed as a trac ticket.

----- Forwarded message from martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk -----