⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] string variables and netCDF4

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 09:31:41 -0700

Hi all,

I have a question from Robert Pincus that I don't know that answer to:

Is it ok to use a one-dimensional ?string? variable instead of a two-dimensional character variable to encode expt_label? This might be asking whether it?s ok to use netCDF4, which I certainly hope is the case.

He's defining an array of "labels".

The conventions document states: "NetCDF does not support a character
string type, so these must be represented as character arrays."

so my take on this is that a one-dimensional array of "string" variables
would not be permitted. In general do we forbid use of any of the new
netCDF4 structures? (I guess yes).

thanks,
Karl