⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CMIP6 Sea Ice MIP: sub grid scale thickness distribution

From: Dirk Notz <dirk.notz>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 09:53:04 +0200

Dear CF community,

as part of CMIP6 sea-ice output, we would like to allow individual
groups to store information on their sub-grid scale ice-thickness
distribution. For this distribution, sea-ice models usually assume
around 5 different thickness categories, each of which has its own area
fraction and actual sea-ice thickness. As ice grows and melts, the
thickness and area fraction within the categories changes, but the
thickness bounds of each category remain fixed.

To store the sub-grid scale information, we would like to use the
existing variables sea_ice_area_fraction and sea_ice_thickness.

We suggest, after some help from Alison, that the sub-grid scale
information might be stored as follows:

"The lower limit of each thickness range provides the coordinate
variable. To this coordinate variable, a bounds variable should be
attached that gives the upper and lower values of ice thickness for each
category. (Following CF conventions doc Section 7.1) for more details of
how to do this). The cell_methods attribute would then read,
cell_methods = "area: mean where sea_ice (and sea_ice thickness is
between category bounds)". "

As we have little technical experience with such kind of variable
storage, we would be very grateful for any thoughts or input on this
suggestion.

Thank you very much,

Dirk Notz

--