⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard attributes for anomaly

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 16:04:44 +0100

Dear Roy

The number_of_observations and status_flag are problematic because they may
apply to several variables with different unmodified standard names and it's
not desirable to duplicate the information. That leaves detection_minimum and
standard_error, which are more like anomaly in principle. I am inclined to
think that standard_error might be better described as a cell_method, since
it's a statistical operation that refers to how the values of the cell might
vary (over repeated measurements).

I agree that it would be natural to describe anomaly as a modifier if we
need to make a special provision for anomalies, as David suggested. In fact
this has been discussed before and it would fit the convention, I think. My
view is that if there are only half-a-dozen use-cases, it's not a problem to
have standard names for them including "anomaly". I think that's better
because to me it seems more robust to have the information glued together in
the standard name, and it avoids adding to the convention.

----- Forwarded message from rmendelss gmail <rmendelss at gmail.com> -----

----- End forwarded message -----