⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] request for new CF standard_name: CDOM

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 19:47:52 +0000

Dear John

Thanks for the proposal. It would be good to add some more context, in the
style of other CF standard_names. I would suggest
  concentration_of_colored_dissolved_organic_matter_in_sea_water
if that makes sense to you. Even so, "concentration" is rather vague - we
usually make it clear whether it's mole concentration or mass concentration,
for instance. To be really explicit (and long) we could say
  concentration_of_colored_dissolved_organic_matter_in_sea_water_expressed_as_equivalent_mass_fraction_of_quinine_sulfate_dihydrate
if I understand your description correctly. Is that correct?

Since qsde is not a udunit, I think the canonical unit for this quantity
should be 1 i.e. it is dimensionless, and the definition can make clear
what the unit means. In practice you could give 1e-9 as the unit, which is
equivalent to 1 i.e. both are dimensionless.

----- Forwarded message from John Maurer <jmaurer at hawaii.edu> -----