⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for sediment trap data

From: Lowry, Roy K. <rkl>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 22:22:36 +0000

Hi Crissy,

These are different Standard Names to the ones that Matthias is after because you have mass fluxes rather than mole fluxes.

So, I would suggest:

sinking_mass_flux_of_particulate_organic_carbon_in_sea_water

and

sinking_mass_flux_of_particulate_carbon_in_sea_water (or sinking_mass_flux_of_particulate_total_carbon_in_sea_water)

I seem to remember a past debate as to whether the 'total' should be included that decided to leave it out.

Also the principles of Units of Measure in CF, based on UDUNITS and uitimately SI do not allow semantics such as 'OC' in the UoM. So, the acceptable canonical units for both of these would be (kg m-2 s-1). Note that the canonical units don't include scale, whereas the units you store in the parameter attributes do include scale and so these would be mg m-2 d-1.

Finally, to help Alison could you clarify whether you were you citing these as examples as a part of the discussion of Matthias's proposal or proposing them as additional new Standard Names.

Cheers, Roy.

Please note that I partially retired on 01/11/2015. I am now only working 7.5 hours a week and can only guarantee e-mail response on Wednesdays, my day in the office. All vocabulary queries should be sent to enquiries at bodc.ac.uk. Please also use this e-mail if your requirement is urgent.