⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Confusing skin temperature and interface temperature

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 18:53:43 +0000

Dear Karl,

Thanks for your comments on this. Clearly we need to get this right before I make any changes in the standard name table.

I recall that the sea surface skin, subskin and foundation temperatures were introduced primarily to describe satellite radiometer data because the existing sea_surface_temperature name was too vague. I have the impression that modellers sometimes use the word "skin" as being synonymous with the interface at the bottom of the atmosphere and I think that was probably the intention behind its use in the current definition. By contrast, the observational community have a very specific definition for the sea skin: "the conductive diffusion-dominated sub-layer at a depth of approximately 10 - 20 micrometers below the air-sea interface". So I think there is scope for some confusion here since the more specific sea surface temperature names were introduced.

As far as standard name definitions are concerned, the main thing is to ensure we provide clear guidance as to when a particular name should be used and to explain the relationships between similar names. I take your point that some models may be deliberately formulated to have sea_surface_temperature (by which I assume you mean the top layer of the model) the same as the interface temperature. I assume you would still label it with a standard name of sea_surface_temperature, even though in this case it would be directly comparable with a variable with standard name surface_temperature and we should probably explain that in the definition.

Do models ever output variables that you would actually want label as "skin", "subskin" or "foundation" temperatures (as defined in the existing standard names)? If not, then perhaps it is best to simply note in the definition that the other names exist and that they have very specific definitions. This avoids the issue around the word "skin".

These points would then lead to a definition something like the following:
'Sea surface temperature is usually abbreviated as "SST". It is the temperature of sea water near the surface (including the part under sea-ice, if any), and is not necessarily the same as the interface temperature at the bottom of the atmosphere, whose standard name is surface_temperature. Some models are formulated such that sea_surface_temperature and surface_temperature are the same in ice free sea areas. The standard names sea_surface_skin_temperature, sea_surface_subskin_temperature and sea_surface_foundation_temperature can be used to describe the temperature in specific layers close to the sea surface and are often used to describe satellite observations. For the temperature of sea water at a particular depth or layer, a standard name of sea_water_temperature with a vertical coordinate axis should be used.'

Does that sound OK? Does it include all the necessary information?

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065